Organizational Development (OD) Specialist - Nonprofit Focus
|Location:||Ann Arbor, MI|
|Benefits:||Benefits are Available|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Description:||Our client, NEW: Solutions for Nonprofits, is seeking a full-time Organizational Development (OD) Specialist to join their growing team. |
NEW works to improve the impact and performance of nonprofits by creating high-quality strategic solutions. For more than two decades, NEW has worked with nonprofit organizations to craft solutions and create pathways to success. They are dedicated to helping nonprofits because they understand the vital role they play in our community.
NEW offers expert consultation, education, support and resources to ensure every phase of your organization’s operations is effectively geared toward achieving your mission. Whether you’re looking to develop a strong board, leverage new technology, better align your organization’s resources and vision, or find new ways to communicate with your constituents, NEW can help your organization find better, smarter, more efficient ways to do the things it needs to do. More information can be found at www.new.org
The OD Specialist reports to the Chief Operating Officer and is part of NEW’s Organizational Development Team. Current aspects of the position include providing organizational development assistance to nonprofit clients in the areas of:
• Capacity Building
• Strategic Planning
• Board Development Support
|Duties:||The OD Specialist will support NEW in the following ways:|
• Conducts discovery conversations; assesses organizational strengths and opportunities for improvement; and co-creates action plans with nonprofit clients to help them achieve their organizational goals;
• Designs and implements organizational developmental training and other appropriate interventions to address identified leadership, teamwork, governance and organizational development needs for clients.
• Participates in program monitoring, evaluation, and periodic reporting to funders on progress of capacity building activities.
• Designs and administers strategic planning processes based on nonprofit clients’ needs for organizational change;
• Creates and implements tools to gather stakeholder input and other relevant information (surveys, focus groups, interviews, and benchmark research);
• Through facilitation, support, and analysis, helps nonprofits map out viable and actionable strategic plans based on the capabilities and needs of the organizations.
Board Development Support
• Trains nonprofit boards in best practices of board governance through public workshops and webinars as well as on-site sessions with individual nonprofit organizations;
• Maintains and updates board development curriculum to reflect changes in the field of nonprofit board governance.
• Responds to prospective client opportunities through discovery conversations, proposal development, and follow-up activities;
• Collaborates with Organization Development team members to develop and assess client-focused strategies in line with NEW’s overall vision and goals.
• Pursue professional development and enrichment opportunities to stay current and advance knowledge in the areas of board development, evaluation, strategic planning, nonprofit operations and policy, and facilitation
• Carries out administrative tasks as it relates to time management and revenue generation;
• Provides ongoing support for collaborative partners for NEW; and
• Host or attend special events as needed to support our work.
|Qualifications:||Education & Training:|
Both a bachelor’s degree and advanced degree are strongly preferred. Equivalent substantial professional exposure and experience in business, managerial, or legal fields would be considered. A strong customer service mindset is essential, as is an entrepreneurial spirit.
Work Experience & Competencies:
1. Prior Work Experience
At least three years of professional experience (in any capacity) is strongly preferred. Professional training and/or teaching experience is strongly preferred. Nonprofit or for-profit program management experience is strongly preferred, and board-related work is a plus. Volunteer experience with nonprofit organizations (including board membership) is a plus.
2. Technical Competencies
Strong speaking and writing skills are required. Familiarity and comfort with computer software and the Internet are required. Knowledge of nonprofit organizational and governance structure is strongly preferred. Experience with adult training and/or curriculum development is preferred.
3. Behavioral Competencies
Service Oriented: Thrives on human interaction; enjoys providing helpful and timely customer service (a service-oriented mindset is critical).
Team Player: Prioritizes the needs of the organization above other considerations; assumes roles outside scope of job description when necessary to keep organization running smoothly and help meet customers’ needs; enthusiastically embraces the “servant leadership” philosophy for working with colleagues and customers.
Entrepreneurial Mindset: Embraces a mission-based business model where every employee is accountable for the organization's success in achieving its earned revenue goals.
Project Management: Able to work on multiple projects at once; very strong organizational skills.
Leadership and Initiative: Comfortable working toward objectives in a “hands-off” professional environment; able to work independently to reach program goals and solve problems. Willing to embrace professional growth through internal coaching and external training.
Communication: Expresses ideas and thoughts clearly and effectively; able to form strong working relationships with colleagues and others; feels comfortable training and presenting to large and diverse audiences; provides helpful and timely customer service; able to work successfully with diverse individuals and groups.
Innovation and Problem Solving: Able to secure relevant information to identify key issues or problems and recommend viable solutions; able to adjust activities and goals based on changing circumstances.
NEW's Statement on Diversity:
We believe that our mission is most effectively fulfilled through a commitment to inclusiveness as a core value and practice.
We maintain that building and sustaining diversity requires an ongoing commitment to inclusion that must find full expression in our organizational culture, values, norms, and behaviors. Throughout our work, we support diversity across all lines of difference, including age, economic circumstance, ethnicity, sex, race, range of ability, religion, sexual orientation, and gender identity/expression. We aim to lead by example, viewing and encouraging diversity as a fundamental and abiding strength of the nonprofit sector in Southeast Michigan and beyond.
Because we believe that communities, organizations and people are filled with potential waiting to be unleashed . . .
• We Honor the rich diversity of people, experiences and ideas.
• We Invest in our people, clients, and communities.
• We Seek to Understand by promoting lifelong learning for ourselves and our clients.
• We Collaborate by supporting each other as team members and through partnerships.
• We Innovate by encouraging creativity and finding solutions.
• We Deliver exceptional service - every time.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.